If you are a beginner looking for a banjo beginner kit, you are at the right place. It’s difficult to choose from different banjo kits available in the market. There are many varieties available like mountain banjo kit, Appalachian banjo kit, gourd banjo kit, open back banjo kit, electric banjo kit, fretless banjo kit, tenor banjo kit, and many more. You can choose the one whose music sparks your talent.
We have researched all the best banjo kits of companies such as Stewmac banjo kit, Saga banjo kit, Carver banjo kit, and Gold Tone banjo kit to bring the best for you. You can choose a DIY banjo kit to tune the banjo according to your music. As most musicians prefer, one must try building their banjo with the help of “build your banjo kit.” We have chosen the best available banjo kits to build to help you with your search.
Best Banjo Kits – Buying Guide
One must take care of the following factors before buying banjo kits.
It is crucial to look through the factors that are important for buying any of the banjo kits.
- Material of the body: Body material affects the sound of the banjo. It is essential to choose wood of better quality while selecting your banjo kit.
- The number of strings: The number of strings available in the banjo helps you produce distinct tones. There are dedicated string sets for the specific type of banjo kits like 5-string banjo kit, tenor banjo kit, 6-string, plectrum, banjo uke, etc.
- String material: You can choose different string materials to generate distinct music. Strings can select from different string materials such as nickel-plated steel, stainless steel, nylon, phosphor bronze, etc.
- Neck size: Just like the number of strings, neck size also helps in generating different pitches and tones. You can choose from a long neck banjo kit, tenor banjo kit, and many more to select the perfect banjo.
- Drum heads: There are various designs of drum heads available in the market. Drumheads help you in producing a pleasant sound. Choose the one that suits you and your personality.
Banjo kits Reviews
1. Kmise 5 String Resonator Banjo: Full Size 38 Inch, Resonator Banjo
Size: Large full size
String: 5 String (Four Long one Short)
Type: Resonator banjo
Top Material Type: Okoume, Sapele, Ebony
Back Material Type: Sapele
Drumhead: Polyester Film
Drumhead size: 11 inch
It is an amazing banjo that we recommend for anyone with beginner or advanced level skills. The build is wonderful and comes with a glossy finish over wonderful paint. The banjo has a loud and pleasant sound. Also, it comes with many accessories to support your play.
It comes with a very handy kit consisting of various accessories. It is a high-quality built banjo with great sound quality. The banjo comes along with a comfortable armrest which other banjo kits lack.
It is a professional Sapele-back banjo starter kit that is best for beginners and professionals. Build your banjo kit, come with the order, assemble the banjo and start playing.
- This banjo comes with the most popular light loop and phosphor bronze strings.
- The drumhead is of high quality, which helps the banjo to produce a crisp and bright tone with good depth.
- Have an armrest for better comfort.
- Has a Truss rod to maintain the neck adjustment.
- Removable Sapele back cover.
- Quality tuning pegs with a geared 5th string tuner.
- There is a chance of losing the back cover as it is removable.
- Heavier than any other ukulele
It has a removable Sepale back cover which helps to change tone making. Also, it has an armrest for the comfort of the player.
Why should you buy it?
If you are a beginner who wants to buy a stylish and comfortable resonator banjo, this is the best choice. The removable back cover is a plus point if you like to generate distinct tones.
2. AKLOT 5 Strings Banjo: A Full-Size Maple Banjo with open back Remo Head
Brand: AKLOT Banjo
Size: Full size
String: 5 Strings
Frets number: 22
Top Material Type: Maple
Banjo head: Tiger Maple Wood
Drumhead: Remo Drum Skin
Drumhead size: 11 inch
The sound of this banjo is rich. It is a combination of the warmth of a ukulele and the punch of a resonator banjo. The sound of this banjo is loud enough for an acoustic jam. The tuning is similar to a ukulele, making it easier to play. We will highly recommend it for someone at the beginner or intermediate level.
The material used to make this banjo kit is Maple which is different from other available banjos. In addition to a full-size banjo, this 5-string banjo kit comes along with a string set, tuner, two tuning wrenches, a finger pick, strap set, cleaning cloth, and a gig bag. This banjo kit comes with two years of warranty.
This banjo is best for beginners and professionals. All the accessories provided can meet your expectations as a banjo player. Tune the banjo and get ready to play it.
- The Solid construction of the body makes the banjo durable
- Have bright and warm sound, punches through
- You get a professional sound because of the high-quality Remo head and open back.
- It has a European head made up of high-end Tiger Maple
- The head is more stable and easy to adjust with the help of 18 brackets.
- Heavy for small children (5 years old) who like to play banjo
- The fret edges are sharp
- comes with no piezo pick-up
You can adjust the neck of this banjo kit according to your needs. You can adjust the drum head and the neck with the help of a 2-way truss rod that comes with the order. The provided solid wood bridge helps the strings to generate better sound along with better vibration.
Why should you buy it?
If you are fond of the sound produced by the Maple wood Remo drum banjo, then this is the best banjo for you. It is suitable for both professionals and beginners.
3. Kmise Concert Banjo Ukulele: A pocket-friendly 4 string Banjo
Back Material: Sapele
Top Material: Maple, Walnut, Okoume, Ebony, Sapele
Instrument: Ukulele, Banjo
Number of Frets: 18
Number of Strings: 4
Drum size: 21.5cm
The banjo seems to be a quality-built instrument for the price and is easy for any musician to handle. It is a great-looking banjo kit for a great price. It is easy to set up and play. Kmise includes a nice plastic gauge to help you get the bridge in the right place. The banjo feels solid in the hands and comes with a ready-to-play complete package bundled with it. Overall it is a fun instrument to play with the fun twang of a banjo.
As compared to other banjo kits, the price of this banjo kit is very pocket-friendly. Installing the bridge is easy. It is the best banjo to help kids and beginners to learn. It comes with a low action of about 3mm at the 12th fret, which is rare in other banjos available in the market.
This Banjo kit is best for beginners and small kids who want a pocket-friendly ukulele banjo. The instrument is easy to use and has an ear-pleasing sound.
- Best quality banjo kit for this price range.
- Installing the bridge is super easy.
- The drumhead is made up of polyester that has great elasticity with a quick response.
- Comes with low action at the 12th fret of about 3mm. It helps beginners to learn comfortably.
- Smooth Fretboard and Fretwires.
- Needs to be tuned until the strings settle.
- Doesn’t come with an armrest.
The banjo is More Playable with Multifunctional Strap and Piezo Pickup. This piezo pickup is suitable for not only daily practice but also stage performance. Also, it can be in a traditional resonator style or an open back style by detaching its back.
Why should you buy it?
This is the best quality banjo kit for a beginner who has a low budget. Also, if you are a kid who is unable to handle weighted banjos, this is the one for you.
- Are banjos suitable for left-handers?
Answer: Yes, you only need to switch it around and re-string it for left-hand playing. Also, you can switch the arms place in many banjos. Otherwise, you can buy a left-hander banjo kit.
2. Can the back cover of a full-sized banjo be removed?
Answer: Yes, many high-quality banjos come with a detachable back, which is easy to remove.
I own a music instruments shop. My go to instrument is a banjo. My business makes it easier for me to access the instruments from various brands and of various types. I will give my honest opinion here to help out others in choosing the right instrument for them.